Are you planning anything special for Earth Day this month? Here are some areas of consideration:
- Visit a local farmers market for your produce. It has traveled much less to get to your dinner plate and is loaded with nutrition. Produce that travels a long way is often picked early before it has all the nutritional value.
- Choose poultry or eggs without hormones or antibiotics. Factory-farmed chickens rarely see the light of day and are loaded with antibiotics due to the filthy lifestyles of factory farms. Hormones are used to plump up the chickens faster as well as YOU!
- If you eat cows, ensure you are buying grass-fed. According to Organic Consumers Association, scientists are agreeing that grazing cows can reverse global warming. Health-wise, grain-fed cows have an abundance of omega 6 which is not a healthy balance of omega3/omega6 which is linked to cancer. Let cows eat what they are meant to eat and we all win.
- Refuse to eat genetically modified foods (GMO). GMO’s are found in most processed foods unless they are marked organic or non-GMO. Scientists fear we have some serious issues with consumption of GMO foods and may be mostly seen in next generations. Watch out for ingredients with corn, soy, canola, sugar beets.
- Plant a vegetable garden. It’s a great time to plant zucchini, squash, melons, chard among others for summer harvest. If you don’t have a garden, just try planting one plant and see how it goes. Baby steps.
- Go for a hike and connect with nature on a spiritual level. Appreciate the beauty and the essence of the plant world.
What other ideas do you have for Earth Day? Please comment.