These black bean brownies not only pack a protein punch, they have zero refined sugar, are grain-free (gluten-free), dairy-free (vegan), AND delicious – healthy enough for breakfast!
Black Bean Brownies
2, 15oz cans of black beans, rinsed
1 can pumpkin OR sweet potato puree OR 2 ½ C bananas
4 t vanilla extract
1 lb pitted Medjool dates (about 3 ½ C)
2 flax eggs (2 T ground flax meal + 5 T water) OR use 2 eggs
1 1/3 C almond meal (or oat flour i.e. powdered oats/almonds)
1 C cocoa powder
2 t baking soda
4 t baking powder
¼ t sea salt
2 C chopped walnuts or 2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare flax eggs (flax/water) in small dish, stir and allow to sit 5 min
- Add dry ingredients in large mixing bowl and whisk to combine
- In food processor, blend rinsed beans, add rest of ingredients except flax and mix until well combined
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients including the flax/water mixture and stir until well combined (mixture should be thick, not pour-able). Add optional ingredients as desired
- Put onto greased 8 ½ x 11 brownie pan and bake 50 minutes or until top is browning. Be sure to not let burn.
- Let cool fully before slicing (if you have the patience). Serve with berries, preserves, nut butter or plain. Freeze leftovers for a slice anytime.
Let me know your experience with making my favorite black bean brownie, or share your favorite recipe.