Has anyone wondered why Bill Clinton moved to a plant-based diet after experiencing open heart surgery? This article may give you an idea why he chose a plant-based diet.
Our busy lives have moved American’s into finding convenient ways to feed our families. Mass corporate farming methods and government subsidies on meat has allowed consumption of animal products to be inexpensive and convenient for our needs. The mass corporate farming methods and our busy lives has moved Americans into a diet that is simply killing us!
Some facts on the subject:
· 2/3 of us are overweight
· Cases of diabetes is exploding including children
· 50% take at least one prescription drug
· Heart disease, cancer and stroke are the leading causes of death in the US.
· 90,000 cows and calves slaughtered every day in the US
· 14,000 chickens killed every minute
· Steak in the grocery store would cost $90/lb if it wasn’t for government subsidies.
· In 2000, 89% of ground beef tested contained E. coli.
· Because of the mass farming, animal waste is no longer fertilizer, it is out of control and deadly. And, it shows up in the meat. Factories have been built to band-aid this issue adding ammonia to the meat in order to kill the feces, E coli, etc.
· Cows that eat grain (vs. grass) give an unhealthy balance of Omega 6 (vs. omega 3) which is linked to cancer.
· Hormones are used for plumping up animals. Hormone use in animals we eat have been linked to:
o early onset of puberty in girls,
o developmental problems,
o reproductive issues,
o development of breast, prostate and colon cancer
· Anti-biotics are required to keep the animals free of disease in the crowded conditions. Our healthy intestinal bacteria get wiped out with increased antibiotic consumption and we are less able to fight off disease.
· Animal protein specifically dairy is chief cause of osteoporosis
· Milk and meat contains phosphorous and when combined with calcium prevents absorption.
· Dairy free countries have the lowest rates of osteoporosis.
· 50% less bone loss found in those with a vegetarian lifestyle.
· Great calcium sources that your body identifies with include: leafy greens, beans, and sea vegetables
Evidence shows that a whole food plant-based diet can prevent, and in many cases, reverse degenerative diseases including: heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis. Research shows that the standard American diet, including 20% animal protein, grows cancer cells. Consuming plant protein does just the opposite.
Much of this information is alarming. It may or may not convince readers to rid their diets of animal products, but it may give thought to the amount we consume on a daily or weekly basis. Taking small steps and having patience may help ease any changes you feel you want to make. For some, reducing meat/dairy consumption by at least one day /week is a good first step. Paul McCartney started “Meat Free Monday” for awareness onto health ramifications and the impact it puts on our planet. Another good step forward is choosing organic meat and dairy to avoid the overuse of hormones and anti-biotics. Consider loading your plates with veggies, rice, beans, squash, sweet potatoes, etc. and a much smaller portion of meat or none at all.
In the words of Albert Einstein, “Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet”