These recipes originated from Dr. Davis’ paleo recipes from the Dr. Oz show. I have personally tested them and give them two thumbs up!! I substitute the eggs for flax/egg mixture to veganize them. Try them out for the holidays. The touch of cinnamon and pecans makes the scones very festive. The texture is not hard like a scone however. Enjoy!
Grain-free Flour Blend (for baking) (Dr. Davis’ paleo recipe)
4 C almond flour (I use leftover almond pulp from making nut milks)
¼ C coconut flour
1 C flax meal
2 t baking soda
1 t psyllium husk (optional)
- Powder all ingredients if not already. Combine together and keep in mason jar or sealed container in fridge until ready to use.
Cinnamon-Pecan Scones (inspired by Dr. Davis’ recipes as shown on Dr. Oz)
1 C baking mix (from above)
3 T coconut flour
½ t sea salt
1 ½ t ground cinnamon
¼ C cold coconut oil
¼ C sweetener (Lakanto, sugar or coconut sugar)
½ C thinned coconut milk (from a can)
2 T chopped pecans
1 T ground flax w/ 3 T water (equivalent to 1 egg)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- In small dish, combine flax and water and allow to sit and thicken.
- In large bowl, combine baking mix, coconut flour, salt, cinnamon.
- Using pastry cutter, cut the oil into the flour mixture for 1 minute or until it resembles damp sand. (if using whisk, simply push the top of it into the oil/flour mixture to break up all the balls of oil)
- Stir in sugar, pecans, milk and flax mixture. Mix until just blended.
- Loosely form 8 balls with the dough and place 2 inches apart. Flatten them to about ½ inch thick with spoon or hand.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool for 15 minutes