Linda’s Vegan Chili
Enjoy this tried and true Vegan Chili recipe that has texture, chew, and creaminess. A sure hit from vegan’s to carnivores. Serve with some gluten-free corn bread or coconut bread. Enjoy.
- 1-2 T coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 package tempeh, crumbled
- 1 package crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1-2 T tamari or amino’s
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped small or shredded
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 container vegetable broth plus water as needed
- splash apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 1-2 cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 1-2 cans red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can refried beans (optional – adds creaminess)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can of jackfruit, chopped or pulled apart (optional)
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped small
Herbs/Spice (to taste)
- ~3 t sea salt
- ~2 t black pepper
- ~1 T chili powder (more to taste)
- ~3 t cumin, 3 t coriander, 1 t red chili powder
- ~1 t mustard powder
- ~1 t fennel seed (ground)
Toppings: fresh cilantro, chopped, pepitas or pine nuts
- Sauté onions and garlic with oil for 10 minutes
- Add crumbled tempeh. Let steam for a minute, add splash tamari/amino’s. add cumin, coriander, sea salt. Sauté 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add cooking liquids, heat to simmer.
- Rinse beans well. Add to pot along with zucchini, diced tomatoes. Bring back to simmer.
- Add all herbs/spices except fresh cilantro and allow to simmer 1 hr or more. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add cilantro and pepitas to top bowls. Enjoy.
Share your favorite chili recipe or variations. Happy and healthy begins in the kitchen.