DISCLAIMER: This information is based on personal experience and research. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any illness, and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
Note: If you’ve never done any type of cleanse, it’s recommended to start with a colon cleanse. I suggest cleaning the colon at least two times annually. If you suspect you have parasites, it is also suggested to do a parasite cleanse before doing a liver/gallbladder cleanse.
Note: Watch my video on Youtube as I explain my experiences with this cleanse.
Why you may want to do a Liver/Gallbladder Cleanse or Flush
Whether it is genetics, an unhealthy diet, or just years of buildup in your gallbladder, it can be beneficial to do a liver/gallbladder cleanse/flush. You may find you release toxins, sludge, and gallstones allowing more ease to your body functions. This may result in more energy, release of back tension, and a much better digestive system in general.
Focus Areas for liver/gallbladder cleanse or flush
Before the actual flushing of toxins and gallstones, you want to prepare the body. Here are some focus areas:
- Clean Colon – you want a clear passage to release the toxic waste
- Support Liver – herbs that will strengthen the liver and soften gallstones
- Soften gallstones – apple juice, apple cider vinegar, malic acid supplements can be useful
- Diet – focus on lots of veggies, fiber, healthy fats, lean protein, low cholesterol
- Flush preparation – Epsom salts – to open bile ducts plus olive oil/ citrus mixture to activate and flush gallbladder
Lessons I learned from doing a liver gallbladder cleanse/flush
Some of the lessons I learned after doing a lot of research on different protocols and learning from my own flush are as follows:
- Epsom salts – I will take less (1 T) and supplement with Oxypowder as indicated in instructions below.
- Malic acid – instead of drinking gobs of apple juice (high in sugar), I will use herbs instead to soften gallstones (Livatrek)
- Lemon water in mornings to clean liver (I even got an additional flush on day 7)
- L-ornithine – take with olive oil mixture to ease any discomfort
- Melatonin to help sleep after taking olive oil mixture
- Sooth intestines before reintroducing food. DGL, Slippery elm tea, bone broth, aloe juice, etc.
- Start with easy to digest foods: fruit, overcooked veggies, sweet potatoes, broth.
- Nap/rest day of flush
Common Results of Liver Gallbladder Cleanse/Flush
Most people note an increase in energy levels after a liver gallbladder cleanse/flush. I had a nice surprise that years of back tension released. I am looking forward to doing another flush in a month to continue progress until all stones are removed.
Instructions and Materials Needed for liver/gallbladder cleanse/flush
- 4-6 fl oz Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 4-6 fl oz Citrus juice (lemon, grapefruit, orange)
- 1-2 Tbsp Epsom Salts (or capsules)
- Bottle of Oxypowder from Global Healing
- 6 capsules Magnesium oxide
- Livatrex by Global Healing (chanca Piedra and other liver supporting herbs to soften and breakdown stones). and/or Liver herbs (options: dandelion, milk thistle, reishi, yellow dock, turmeric, chicory, peppermint)
- Apple cider vinegar (w/ the mother) and/or apple juice (unnecessary if using Livatrek but still suggested)
- L-ornithine (help ease discomfort of passing stones) plus black walnut capsules
- Avoid full moon as your body may hold more fluids.
- Avoid menstrual cycle or during cold/flu, etc.
- Note: This protocol was modified for an 8pm bedtime.
- Take magnesium oxide daily to relax muscles
- Cut back on any vitamins/supplements that you can easily do so.
- Take 5 ml Livatrex 3x/day on empty stomach or liver supporting herbs (dandelion, milk thistle, reishi, yellow dock, turmeric, chicory, peppermint)
- Eat lightly (low fat, fruits, veg, small amt. lean meat, low cholesterol). Day 4 eve – no fat/protein
- Optional: Beet, carrot, celery, ginger, lemon, juice helpful.
- Clean colon days 1-4 as well as after flush. Oxypowder 2-4 capsules before bed day 1-4, skip pre-flush day, take morning of day 6 (6 capsules)
Day 5 – Pre-Flush
- Eat light breakfast (oatmeal or yogurt/fruit) – NO FAT, NO PROTEIN. Continue ACV/water or apple juice as desired. Light lunch okay. No food/drink from 12pm on.
- 6PM Mix 1 T Epsom salt in 6 oz water. Drink.
- 8pm mix 4-6 fl oz olive oil with 4-6 fl oz citrus – shake well. A little honey between sips is okay if necessary or add up to 3 T maple syrup. 5 min max to drink it (standing), then lay down in bed. Consider taking this mixture with 6-8 capsules of L-ornithine 500mg capsules (8 if trouble sleeping normally) and 2 black walnut capsules (this should ease pain and discomfort of passing stones)
- Lie down for 20min on back with head propped up on two pillows. Or lie on right side in fetal position if more comfortable. After 20 min may stretch out and sleep. Take some melatonin if you have trouble sleeping.
Day 6 – Flush Day
- 4-5AM take 6 capsules of oxypowder. Don’t eat for 1-2 hours after.
- Eat light meals – start with fresh fruit. Lots of water w/ lemon juice.
Other Considerations/Notes for the Liver/Gallbladder Cleanse/Flush
- Can repeat this cleanse every month for 6 months or longer until all stones are eliminated.
- If nausea is experienced during flush, may need to repeat flush again.
- Healing crisis is normal day of flush (Day 6) as toxins are released. Rest, sleep.
- If you are nervous about this protocol considering doing a mini-flush to test your body with Epsom salts and olive oil mixture (see below)
Optional: Mini Flush to test your body (do this close to the actual flush – one night earlier than pre-flush)
- 6pm – 1 tsp (teaspoon) Epsom salt with 8oz water two hours after last meal (work up to 3 tsp)
- 8pm – 1 T olive oil with 1 T citrus juice
- When wake, take 6 capsules oxypowder. Don’t eat for 1-2 hours.
Please consult with a medical professional if you have liver or gallbladder issues and concerns. Do NOT attempt this cleanse during a gallbladder attack.
Health educator, author, and speaker, Linda Curry, facilitates, “Attaining health one bite at a time,” through simplifying health and growth strategies with wisdom, compassion, acceptance and practicality. Linda offers customized health consultations, cooking instruction and coaching as one-size does not fit all. Check out her Youtube Channel for recipes or her 13-week Get-Healthy Makeover Series.
Image by Unsplash
Cleanse/Flush based on this protocol from Cleanse Joy and modified for clarity and simplicity.
Parasite Cleanse protocol by Dr. Hulda Clark
Liver Cleanse protocol by Dr. Hulda Clark
Global Healing Detox Supplements