The following recipes were a big hit. Nice and cooling for summer too. Enjoy!
- 1- 15oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinse
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 T tahini (optional)
- 1 t ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- ¼ t paprika (to garnish)
- Put all ingredients except paprika in food processor and blend until creamy
- Put in bowl and drizzle with olive oil and paprika
- Option: add sprinkles of fresh rosemary and/or pine nuts
- Serve on crackers, chips or veggies (red & yellow bells add nice color)
Note: Make tahini from scratch: Put toasted sesame seeds in food processor and drizzle with olive oil until pasty. Did you know sesame seeds are a good source of calcium?
- 1 – 15oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- ¼ cup eggless mayo (Veganese is good)
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 T fresh parsley
- ½ cup walnuts
- 3 green onions
- ½ T Dijon mustard
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse chickpeas well. Put into food processor and mix until flakey, put aside in bowl
- Put red bell, carrot, celery into food processor separately to get the chunkiness you like. Put into bowl with chickpeas
- Chop walnuts in food processor and add to bowl
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl, stir; Add salt/pepper to taste
- Serve on romaine, on salad or on bread. Enjoy!
Note: chickpeas are high in fiber, protein, iron and low in fat (and no mercury)!
This recipe originated from the book “The 30-Day Vegan Challenge” by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I made a few changes…
- 1 cup cacao chips (vegan – no dairy)
- 12 oz silken tofu
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- ½ t vanilla extract
- 1 banana (optional – creamier and sweeter)
Note: cacao powder and cocoa butter can be substituted for cacao chips. If so, sweeten with some soaked dates and extra banana.
- Melt cacao chips on stovetop over low heat
- Put all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth
- Serve with berries (optional)
- Experiment with other ingredients: berries, peanut butter, coconut, etc.