A vegan lifestyle doesn’t mean you cannot enjoy a festive plant-based Thanksgiving dinner. The lentil oat loaf is a satisfying turkey substitute for the vegans and the other recipes make great side dishes for everyone from vegans to carnivores. All recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, meat-free, peanut-free. I hope you enjoy these as I have. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Green Bean Wild Rice Casserole
- 3 C Fresh Green Beans, cut to 1-inch pieces
- 1 C wild rice + 2 C vegetable broth
- 2 C shitake mushrooms (if dried, rehydrate by soaking)
- 2 C onion
- ¼ C almond flour
- 3 C vegetable stock
- 1 C coconut cream (top only)
- Sea salt, pepper to taste
- Pinch nutmeg
- Topping: fried shallots or Nut Parm (recipe below), or toasted pecans
- Cook wild rice with 2 C broth, simmer for 45 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Sauté onion for 5min.
- Add sliced hydrated shitake, flour, stock, milk, salt, pepper, spices (nutmeg) and simmer 20min – allow to thicken
- Add beans to boiling, salted water for 4-5 minutes. Quickly place in ice water to stop cooking
- Add beans and wild rice to mushroom mixture, mix in, put in casserole dish, cook 30 min
- Sprinkle dish with topping and broil for 5min to brown if desired.
Brazil Nut Parm (soup and salad topper)
- 2 cups Brazil nuts
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 t sea salt
- ¼+ cup nutritional yeast
- Process all ingredients in food processor until granulated. Do not over process. Do not want to clump.
Quinoa Mushroom Stuffing
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- Optional: 8oz mushrooms
- 2 C vegetable stock
- 1 C quinoa
- 2 t sea salt
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1, 8oz bag of peas
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 T fresh sage and thyme or 1 t dried
- 2 C fresh cranberries, pulsed to chop up a bit (can substitute 1 C raisins, apples, dried apricots or simply add some cranberry relish on top of dish)
- Sauté mushrooms if using followed by the onion for 5-10 minutes. Add diced squash and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to boil. Stir in quinoa, peas, herbs and salt. Cover, simmer until absorbed, about 30min until water is absorbed
- Mix in green onions, cranberries, and allow to soften just a bit before serving (apples or raisins can be cooked longer in the dish).
Note: this stuffing is great to stuff acorn squash for a satisfying meal. If so, cook squash in oven halved with oil and sea salt and bake until tender. Scrape out insides partially and add to stuffing mix. Stuff the shells with the stuffing mix and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
Cranberry Pineapple Relish
- 2, 12 oz packages fresh cranberries
- 1 can of pineapple chunks (save liquid)
- 1 C pineapple juice (from can and add water to make 1 C)
- ½ – 1 C Lakanto sweetener or coconut sugar, honey, etc.
- In saucepan, dissolve sweetener in juice/water then add cranberries
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until cranberries have popped.
- Taste for sweetness and adjust
- Add pineapple pieces and pulse together with smart stick
- Let cool, refrigerate for 8 hrs.
Mashed Potato and Cauliflower Dish
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 t olive oil and more to drizzle on top
- 1 lb red potatoes and/or yams/sweet potatoes
- ½ head cauliflower (4 cups)
- 1 C coconut cream/milk
- 1 ¾ t sea salt + ¼ t pepper
- 1 T chives (topping)
- Bake garlic heads on foil at 375 for 45 min to 1hr. wrap loosely
- Simmer potatoes in pot of boiling water w/ ½ t salt, until tender ~25min. drain, peel, mash and keep warm.
- Steam cauliflower 8-10min. pulse in blender with cream until smooth.
- Fold in potatoes. Add more coconut cream as needed.
- Squeeze roasted garlic out of skins into bowl and mash into puree with fork. Stir into potatoes w/ 1 ¼ t salt and pepper. Taste, adjust.
- Sprinkle w/ chives, top with drizzle of oil.
Lentil & Oat Loaf
- 1 ½ cups red lentils
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1, 8 oz. package of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 T Liquid Aminos or tamari
- 1 t dried sage
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t Italian seasoning blend
- ¼ t dried marjoram
- ½ cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 12 oz. barbecue sauce (Annie’s brand is good)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Simmer lentils and water for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Mash w/ fork or smart stick.
- Sauté mushrooms in 2 T oil for 10 minutes, add onion and garlic and cook 10 min. more
- Add spinach and let wilt 5 min. Add lentils and stir.
- Add rest of ingredients except bbq sauce.
- In two loaf pans, spread half the bbq sauce on bottom.
- Add mixture and spread remaining bbq sauce to top layer.
- Bake 50 min. (bbq sauce should turn crispy on edges).
- Let set for 20 minutes before cutting and serving. Will form better when cool. (picture shows with salsa on top – not required with bbq sauce)
Let us know what you liked on these plant-based Thanksgiving ideas. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving enjoying family and friends. Blessings…
Linda’s motto, “Attaining health one bite at a time,” is achieved through simplifying health and growth strategies through wisdom, compassion and acceptance. Linda is passionate about helping others cultivate a balanced path to wellness through books, speaking engagements, classes, consultations, and is pleased to offer her very own handcrafted skincare solutions.