Whether you eat a vegetarian, paleo diet or something in between, most health experts agree that processed and convenience foods are detrimental to our health. But can we eat healthy, keep it simple AND enjoy our food? I seem to think so. With a little training and easing into new habits, this can be achieved for long term health.
Some time-saving tips:
- Grocery list on fridge so you never run out of kitchen staples.
- When preparing a meal, make more and freeze some for later.
- Once a week, prepare some staple dishes for quick meals like hummus, a nut bar, bowl of salad greens, jar of dressing.
- Learn some quick blender meals.
- Start a crockpot before work. Add a protein, grain, veggies and cooking liquid.
- Learn to use “recipe templates” so you always have the ingredients on hand to whip up a healthy meal.
- And many more…
Enjoy this “recipe template” for an energy bar to have on hand during the week for a quick boost.
In this “recipe template,” the fiber ingredients form the base along with the dates which also makes them naturally sweet. When substituting ingredients, maintain the same amount of dry to wet ingredients to get the bars to form. Otherwise, experiment away. Consider ingredients that add color such as goji berries to a dark chocolate color.
2 C raw almonds, walnuts (or cashews, pecans, etc.)
¼ C hemp hearts (or sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, etc)
7 pitted soft Medjool dates (soak in water for 20min if not soft)
¼ C dried berries (optional: goji, raisins, mulberry, etc.)
1 T coconut oil (another mild oil is okay or omit if tahini is thin)
1/2 C tahini (or other nut butter)
1 t Cinnamon
1 ½ t vanilla extract (or ½ t vanilla powder)
2 T carob powder (or cacao for extra stimulants)
2 pinches sea salt (if nuts and tahini are unsalted)
- Process nuts in food processor. Add dates, oils/fats and flavorings and process together until a ball forms. Taste for salt and sweet and adjust. If ball does not form nicely, add more wet ingredients such as dates, oil/fats. Put in bowl.
- Add rest of ingredients to bowl: seeds, dried berries to maintain wholeness.
- Press into small loaf pan.
- Refrigerate for 1 hr, cut into bars and enjoy.
Learn more about joining an 8 Week program to move away from processed foods for good.